Wednesday, 29 May 2013

V is for Vinylux


If you're a nail professional you must literally have been hiding out under a rock for the last month if you haven't heard of Vinylux.  Vinylux is the new polish line from CND that lasts for up to 7 days.  Coined by CND as the polish that defies time, it requires no base coat (don't be scared) and has a top coat that becomes more durable when exposed to natural light to ensure no chipping or scratching.  

Vinylux can be worn not only as a straight polish on fingers and toes but it can also be applied over Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel, Shellac and other nail enhancements. For those that like to change up their colour but when it suits them and not when a polish chip or two week power or gel polish dictates or for those that can't wear colour for work but would like to rock a colour at the weekends which lasts until Monday morning, then Vinylux is the polish to out shine (quite literally) all other polishes on the market.

The Verdict:

When Vinylux or shortened to V by those of us too lazy to spell it out in full, was first launched I'll admit I was sceptical.  Not because I didn't believe it would work, au contraire I trust CND, but the buzz around a sizeable proportion of nail technicians in the UK was that V was going to be the next big thing.  Indeed it still could be, but in terms of my business, V is and will always be a polish line.  A polish line that dries in 8.5 minutes I might add and that matches the most popular Shellac shades with more besides, but it is what it is... a polish.

I believe CND have marketed this mostly as a retail product, that's not to say that it doesn't have a place for us professionals in the nail salon- what's a nail salon without at least one bottle of polish I ask you! However I'm a little studio salon for now and most of my clients, in fact nigh on all of them, are Shellac lovers and I don't have the call (or the space) for retailing polish just now. However clients are welcome to preorder Vinylux for collection, I just won't be holding stock.  V is a great addition for those that want to retail polish and in fact lots of techs nationwide are having great success in retail sales of Vinylux.  If you're looking to update, change or add to your polish collection, like me, then V would be the logical step for all the reasons I've mentioned above. But let's keep our heads, it is just a polish... albeit one that lasts for up to 7 days. 

Some were concerned that Vinylux would out shine Shellac, and I'm not talking about the mirror shine effect here, I'm talking about whether or not clients would jump ship by purchasing a bottle of Vinylux, apply it themselves and never darken the door of their nail salon again.  Is this a real possibility? Yes, but, clients go to a salon for a number of reasons; the art of the professional, to relax, to feel pampered, to have a good chin wag with their nail stylist and the list goes on. Comparing Shellac to Vinylux is like comparing a Ford (Vinylux) to a Ferrari (Shellac).  Both good solid cars but one of them is at a premium with a super sleek finish.  Ultimately it's all about how you sell V to clients.  Who is your target market for Vinylux?  I've worked mine out... have you?

Vinylux RRP is £9.95, but remember for Vinylux to work as a system you need to purchase both colour and top coat.  Some salons (including The Nail Beautique) are offering a special introductory duo deal for colour and top coat when purchased together priced at just £15.95.


For non professionals living in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate wanting to preorder Vinylux or to book a Vinylux appointment visit www.thenailbeautique.co.uk.  For more information on Vinylux visit www.lovecnd.com to find your local stockist. For professionals wishing to purchase Vinylux visit www.sweetsquared.com


Gotcha Vinylux- Check out the shine on those digits! 




Images Courtesy of CND, Sweet Squared & The Nail Beautique

2 comments:

  1. I agree this is just another polish, I like the idea of the easy removal, high shine and 7 day wear . So I prob will try it out, I agree that it won't effect salon visits, as I have a mani/pedi qualification and I still like to go to my local nail salon for my nail treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shine and wear is fabulous! This polish is a real dream to work with too... you're going to love it x

    ReplyDelete