Saturday, 1 June 2013

A is for Art

Nail art to be precise.  

Having only just begun blogging this week, I have been following lots of fabulous nail blogs that literally knock my attempts at nail art in to a cocked hat.  What I will say in my defense is there's not much I can't do with rhinestones, nail foil and a pot of glitter... but then there are so many other things you can do nail art wise other than just using rhinestones, nail foil and a pot of glitter...

I'll be honest and say I'm not the most creative person.  Well, that's not strictly true, I have all these wonderful ideas and designs in my head, but when I sit down with my own nails or a bunch of colour pops... nothing!  I just can't seem to translate my nail masterpieces on to a nail without it looking like a five year old has had a go and even then that's probably doing a disservice to any self respecting five year old. 

I know this is the case for a lot of nail stylists, so I can console myself with the fact that I'm not completely useless.  I can after all polish a nail, professional style, in three strokes of a brush, nice straight side walls, near but not touching the eponychium, a swipe of the free edge and of course a beautifully rounded finish at the base of the nail.  

But you see my clients usually fall between the ages of thirty to sixty years of age, though the majority of them are in the fifty plus bracket.  These ladies want classic nails, and understandably with having a Shellac manicure they want nails that can be worn with various outfits throughout the two week period that they are not sitting at my nail desk.  Now it may sound like I'm making excuses, but truly I'm not, neither am I saying that there isn't a place for nail art or that I shouldn't bother with it because that wouldn't make me much of a nail stylist now would it? However I have forty eight shades of Shellac, nineteen Eco soak off gels, twelve bottles of Vinylux, fifty five bottles of CND nail polish, twenty eight pots of glitter, twelves pots of CND Additive pigments (yes I've just counted them all), gold and silver, square and round nail studs, two boxes of coloured and clear rhinestones, twelve sheets of nail foil, gold and silver Sharpie pens, coloured fine point marker pens, dotting tools, a stripping and fan brush... but what do most of my clients go for... just one or two red shades in the Shellac collection, usually Masquerade or Decadence.  So what gives?

I have a friend who treats herself to having her nails done every time she has some annual leave.  Usually as she doesn't wear anything on her nails, she likes to choose nice bright colours when she comes to me.  She has just recently had her shift pattern and working days changed, so rather than only having her nails beautified when she's on her holiday, she has decided to have her nails done more regularly as she can get away with a colour for longer.  The last time I did her nails she went for a really bright pink from the Eco soak off gel range as she was off out for the evening and fancied a little pick me up.  Half way through her appointment, she decided that she didn't have anything to wear that matched her nails (forget about having nails to match your outfit, that's nail dedication right there) so she went over to the shops straight after her appointment and bought herself a new outfit to match her nails.

And this is what she came back with...




So imagine my surprise when she text me the other day to book in for a Shellac manicure and she tells me that she is going to go for something completely different this time, something daring, something bold, something sexy, something sultry, something that's really going to make her nails pop... at this point I was practically buzzing with ideas, I almost got the colour pops out for a quick nail art session... but just seconds later she sends me another text... I would like... wait for it... a lovely red shade of Shellac...

But really it doesn't matter what colour I want to jolly up her nail plate with, she has the right to choose her nail colour and as a nail stylist, I'm here to suggest a shade that will suit her skin tone perfectly.  

So you see you can have a thousand different nail art designs on a colour wheel, you can sport your wildest set of nails on your own hands, but ultimately what the client wants, the clients gets, which is obvious when you think about it because she is parting with her hard earned cash and allowing you to decorate her nails exactly how she wants them.  

So next time you think you need to up your nail art game (and it's never a bad thing if you do), sit back and think for a moment, what do my clients really want?

7 comments:

  1. What do my clients really want? This is a really important question if you want your clients happy. My friend once told me to do my nails, as she is a nail artist too. I don't like anything too much on my nails and I told her, but she ignored me completely and did what she wanted to do...Yes my nails looked pretty, but I didn't feel comfortable at all..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think understanding and listening to what your client wants is the key to success, your absolutely right x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for stopping by and following my blog ;-)

    Look forward to reading your adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I look forward to reading yours too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats a good idea! its the clients that you have to put first! im surprised she even went to buy a dress to math her nails!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I know, how fabulous is that... love her! xx

    ReplyDelete